The Bible - An Out-Dated Book?
There is a large body of people who, without knowing the Bible, often have preconceived opinions about this Book and consider it to be too old-fashioned for our advanced century. In the 17th century Galileo confirmed that the Bible does not teach us how the heavens came into being, but rather, how we get into heaven. Although the Bible does not explain how the heavens were created, it has with precision and absolute accuracy spoken about events confirmed, through the course of time, by the scientific discoveries of man. Let's consider the following examples:
- Christopher Columbus (1451-1506) is often highly spoken of as one of the first people to state that the earth is round. However, the prophet Isaiah had proclaimed:
"It is he that sitteth upon the circle(in Hebrew this means 'the vaults of heaven')
of the earth..."(ISAIAH 40:22).
- It has only recently been proven that the moon exerts an influence on plants. However, the Bible had already explained this at the time of the Hebrews:
"And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun, and for the precious things put forth by the moon"(DEUTERONOMY 33:14). The Bible has been confirmed by modern geophysics:
As for the earth, out of it cometh bread: and under it is turned up as it were fire"(JOB 28:5).
- In addition, modern geology also confirms the truthfulness of the account of Creation in the first chapter of Genesis. Science tells us there was an absolute beginning of the earth, i.e. a creation. It confirms that matter will not remain in existence indefinitely, contrary to what was popularly believed last century. In Proverbs the Bible mentions the origin of the earth:
"I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world
- Scientists have analysed the human body and their research concluded that it is composed of 14 basic elements. They have analysed the dust of the earth in the same manner and discovered the same elements there. Once again, science proves the reliability of the Bible, which says that God created mankind from the dust of the earth.
- Modern science has discovered that matter is only, by the laws of nature, an outer shell for energy: Behind the visible, there is an invisible, but real energy.
"Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear"(HEBREWS 11:3; ROMANS 1:20). These scriptures talk about what these new discoveries have found out about energy and matter. The Bible also speaks about the existence of light, even before there were stars, and it also speaks of the the origin of energy, before matter (GENESIS 1; PSALM 74:16).
- JOB said:
"He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing", thirty centuries before Isaac Newton, 'the father of science', laid down the Law of Gravity. This is once again confirmed:
"To make the weight for the winds..
"(JOB 28:25). This preceded Torcellis' discovery of determining the weight of the air by a few thousand years.
- Dr. Harvey (1578-1657) was the first scientist to discover that life is in the blood, confirming the statement which Moses made about blood circulation thousands of years before his discovery:
"For the life of the flesh is in the blood:..."(LEVITICUS 17:11).
- The medical discoveries of prenatal examinations confirm the scriptures (JOB 10:10-12 and PSALM 139:15-16), not to mention the numerous laws about hygiene, care and nutrition given in the Bible, which science confirms.
- The Bible commands the Hebrews to circumcise each boy at the age of eight days. Modern blood research provides an explanation for this: studies of the clotting of blood in a new-born baby, show that this is most effective on the eighth day.
- The biblical laws about the quarantine of individuals who are infected with various skin ailments give protection from infection and germs. The Bible complies with the modern rules of personal hygiene.
- The essential regulations which God gave for His people in the book Leviticus, have been scientifically explained in recent times. God gave the people a lecture on personal hygiene, which was essential to protect them from many infectious diseases and parasites.
- It was only in the 19th century that a doctor called Semmelweiss recommended that you should wash your hands before dealing with sickness. In addition, the work of Pasteur in studying germs and their transmission clarified the reasons for numerous washings and frequent cleaning, which are ordered by biblical law.
The list is endless... but to conclude we will simply quote the famous English astronomer John Henschel (1792-1871) who stated: "It seems as though all human discoveries were made for one single purpose: to confirm, over and over again, the Truth which is contained in the Bible."
"BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURETH FOR EVER"! 1 PETER 1:25
Source: "Pentecôte" Magazine, Assemblies of God in France
Translated from the German "Die Bibel - Ein überholtes Buch?"