The visit to Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, Korea - the largest Christian Church in the world with 700,000 spirit-filled members by Günther & myself was more than an "eye-opener". We were deeply moved by the way, manner and method in which these brethren prayed and gained answers to their prayers. Looking at such verses as: MARK 11:22-25, it can be said that these Korean Christians do not hesitate to fulfil what is stated here by Our Saviour & Lord, Jesus Christ!
The unbelief is swept away by concentrated prayer and belief that whatsoever is asked of God in Jesus' Name will be fulfilled! God's Word is not doubted and this was powerfully anointed to both Günther & myself. With the following tips and points which we ourselves have "learned and watched" in the Korean Church, we wish to "aid" our European brethren in their prayer life before God. Over 60,000 new converts were saved this year alone... and statistics show that over 70% of ALL prayer requests made by our Korean brethren are answered by God! God will answer all those who come to Him humbly and in obedience!
Pray in this way
Praying is "difficult" because it is not a conversation with another person, it is an audience with the Almighty God.
1) Start Praying by Praising God:
"Enter His gates with thanksgiving and into His Courts with praise" (PSALM 100:4). He created everything; gave us Salvation; loving care. God delights and dwells in our praises:
"...who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel" (PSALM 22:3). In the O.T. the High Priest burned sweet incense 24 hours a day.
2) Repent of Your Sins:
Examine yourself before the presence of the Lord, and repent of sins.
"Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of Hosts: the whole earth is full of His Glory." (ISAIAH 6:3).
The partition of disobedience and disbelief must be broken.
"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit. A broken and contrite heart, Oh God Thou wilt not despise." (PSALM 51:17, 1 JOHN 1:9 & ISAIAH 1:18). A person who has repented of his sins, can come boldly to the Throne of Grace.
3) Make Your Requests Known to God:
"Ask and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it shall be opened..." MATTHEW 7:7-11
When you come to God with a request, you must come to Him with an earnest desire. The Bible well describes how Jesus prayed at Gethsemane,
"Being in agony, He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground" (LUKE 22:44). If the Son of God prayed so earnestly, how much more shall we have to pray fervently?! Jesus taught us the necessity of incessant prayer through the parable of the widow (LUKE 18:1-8). You must pray in accordance with God's Will (JAMES 4:3).
4) Express Your Thanks:
"Be anxious for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." PHILIPPIANS 4:6-7
All great wonders of Christianity, sometimes beyond our imagination, result from fervent prayer. If you learn this secret of the order of prayer, you may be able to experience the proper order of God's blessing: prosperity in your spirit, the blessing of good health, and prosperity in all things (3 JOHN 2).
Pastor David Yonggi Cho taught on "Prayer Life" during a seminar; giving advice on how we ought to occupy our time during prayer before God. Most American pastors spend a maximum of 5 minutes daily in prayer... and Cho gave this talk to show how he has "planned his prayer time" so that he has an aim and direction in which to pray and put his petitions to God.
The following are notes and advice taken from this seminar:
- God created us to minister and fellowship unto Him.
- We are to pray, praise and worship.
- No prayer = no power!
- We must plan our prayer - we are in a spiritual battle!!
Different types of prayer
1) Improptu Prayer: (Topical Prayer)
Concerns our needs. It doesn't last long before you run out of requests before God. In this type of prayer you present your needs; desires and normal everyday requests before the Lord.
2) Positional Prayer:
"God, you are my Creator"! "You have total sovereign power of good and evil in my life... I am not sovereign to decide anything to do with my life" - only God can decide and direct my steps! Think of the Sovereignty of Almighty God Who is our Father... we do not know which is to be "good or evil" in our lives - (think of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil - GENESIS 2:17; and leave this to God to decide how our lives are to be directed!). "I don't know which is good and evil - I will simply follow You!"
3) God is the Shepherd:
I am the sheep. God protects; nurtures me... I am not to go ahead of God. God must lead my life! Cho gave an example here how he had to wait on God for the establishment of his newspaper and of the difficulties involved... but he wasn't to "get ahead" of the Lord's leading - God supplied his every need! The Shepherd guides us to the "green pastures" and causes us to eat and be filled and receive our needs for His work. We don't need to struggle to do God's Work - He is in charge of everything He needs!
4) You are the Vine:
I am the branch. The activity belongs to God! Receptivity belongs to me... I am the vessel. Do NOT let me act (do anything) till You, the Lord gives/supplies! We can't do anything in our own strength!
5) God is the Husband:
I am the "wife". The husband loves the wife and must work! God will do all the work. God provides; gives us good things... the husband's love is "work" (just as fleshly husbands). The wife only has to obey! God proves His love with gifts; sacrifices. God gave His Son! Our role is a passive one - we simply have to OBEY! ... Therefore this is a POSITIONAL PRAYER! God is Sovereign and we are the servant!! Pray; Trust & Obey! - we wait before and upon God! God acts = we receive! Don't go ahead of God - He loves us - we are to obey! God = Leadership = we follow!
6) Ripple Prayer:
This prayer is never ending when introduced/used before the Lord. This prayer need not end and includes everything... (a) - it begins usually with oneself = pray for self and needs; confess one's sins; (b) - we then ask God to help in various needs... (c) - pray for one's family... (d) - pray for relatives... (e) - neighbours and friends... (f) - nation and politicians... (g) - world mission - spreading God's Word through the Cell Groups and Assemblies... (h) - Pray about own Cell Group/Church and projects... etc. etc.
7) Tabernacle Prayer:
A knowledge of the Tabernacle as seen in Exodus Chapters 25; 26 and 27 is absolutely recommended for this prayer! Pastor Cho prays this "Tabernacle Prayer" every morning and "The Lord's Prayer" at night. - Worship God through your Body, which is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. (see 1 CORINTHIANS 6:19).
- You worship firstly at The Bronze Altar = The Cross of Jesus Christ = The Precious Blood! This is deeply meaningful and emotional. You speak to God about The Blood of Jesus - the enemy has no power! = "I am a blessed person!"
- Now "move on into The Tabernacle"... must live righteously - God will cleanse me... make me truthful and totally faithful. A holy life both in public and private is demanded! = this will give God's Power!
- Now you are at the "Laver"... God is to make me forgiving & loving. It is easy to forgive but harder to love! We are to be made meek & humble! Don't be very rough = be tender and meek! Deliver me from covetousness etc. This is where you pray to "be washed" by God's Word! = "The Laver" = French "to wash".
- Then you enter into "The Main Sanctuary"... Candles = Light of the Holy Spirit... have only the Light of God = Golden Candlestick... without the Holy Spirit there is no burning Light! = no anointing! Here the self-image in Christ needs to be built up - he who condemns himself and has no respect with revelation of whom he is in Christ, destroys himself and turns into an animal! God is our Power; our Knowledge - we are equipped through God for all things... no matter how we have missed out on things in this world or whatever our circumstances fleshly-seen - e.g. born poor; illegitimate; etc., etc. ... God is our image (2 CORINTHIANS 3:18) and the Holy Spirit helps in every way!
- Then you come to The Table of Shewbread = This is The Word - love it; take it to the lost world. Eat The Word!! (MATTHEW 4:4).
- Then you come to The Incense Altar = Praise God; Creator; Almighty God.
- Then you go into The Holy of Holies = Through Jesus = The Ark of the Covenant = Forgiveness; love; holiness and righteousness. God cannot deny His Covenant through Jesus!!
There is one condition = Believe and obey!
Cho commented that this "Prayer" takes him at least one hour!
N.B. This all shows then a need for careful and planned prayer! (You will soon find that you need more than an hour for such prayer!)
Headquarters, October 1992
Notes adapted from David Cho's talk "Prayer"; Korea, October 1982